I'm pretty sure Austin, Texas is the most family friendly city in our country. There are so many things to do... all the time!
I don't know about you, but I love doing things for FREE .... (or as cheap as possible). So, I have made a list of things that I have taken L&L to on a normal basis.
Story Times -
There are many to choose from, and all of them are always free.
1. Barnes & Noble - story time + craft of some kind that goes with the story books that are read for that day.
DAYS: Every Wednesday and Saturday
TIP: Barnes & Noble opens at 10:00AM. We usually get here right at opening so we can take advantage of the quiet atmosphere and have the train table, and lego table to ourselves for just a bit of time. Once we've played the train table, the lego table, mom's got her coffee, and we've read and explored all of the books on the shelves it's time for story time! Sometimes I'll pack a lunch and head to a park nearby for a picnic and playtime. (also, free I might add) :)
2. Visit Your Local Library!! - Austin, Round Rock, & Cedar Park Libraries all have monthly event calendars for toddlers and preschoolers. Check them out monthly and plan your trips. Super easy, super free.
TIP: If you think "Listen, my kid won't sit still for story times, crafts, etc." How are they going to learn how to have these skills if you don't give them the opportunity to learn them? Suck it up, pray for patience, don't have any expectations, but at least try... and keep trying. Your child is just being a child, they're not an adult like you. They're going to do fine. The best thing to remember is we've all been there, if we aren't right there with you.
3. Austin Nature & Science Center - 2389 Stratford Drive Austin TX 78746 -
Completely FREE and there's so much to explore. My kids favorite is the dinosaur area where you dig for bones. The scenery is beautiful, and it's an awesome place to have a picnic. We love the Nature & Science Center.
4. Visit a Museum in downtown Austin - did you know our local museums have free admission on certain days of the month for families? Look up all of our awesome museums and see which days have free admission. They also always have something fun for the kids to do on these free admission days.
TIP: just make sure to bring some cash for parking!
5. During the Summer - there are so many splash pads and natural pools / springs to visit! Just google these for your area and tons of options will pop up. There are so many beautiful places to swim or play in the water with little ones here in Austin... it's the best!
6. Lastly, check out DO512Family.com - I visit this site weekly, see what Austin has to offer for little ones in my area for free and plan my week accordingly! This might be my favorite website ever. It has everything that's going on in our area for families.. love it!