I don't know about you, but we aren't going anywhere this summer (or maybe even the entire year). We're trying so hard to get debt free, fix up our house, and send our kids to preschool in the fall... so planning my weeks out in advance so that I'm not tempted to spend money is a must! Here's how I do it:
1. Plan your weeks in advance! Pick themes for your weeks. This coming week is monster week at our place. Here's what we have planned:
2. I take advantage of all things free in my city!
- children's museum (we were gifted a membership) - summer movie days at your local theaters (bring your own snacks) - splash pads - pool day in your neighborhood - concert nights in my small towns Main Street area - library trips - storytime at Barnes and Noble - free days at your local museums -
If you life in the Austin area you must follow Do512Family! There's so much to do for free.
3. Make a weekly budget for your extra spending, and get that money out of your bank account. Having cash to spend at special outings is a must or you'll just keep swiping that credit card / debit card without a care in the world. Cash is king and when you run out of it, no more spending!
4. Try to set aside a certain amount of money each week throughout the summer. My husband and I have started a thing where if one of us says "let's go get coffee" - the other person has to get on the phone right then and throw whatever we would spend on coffee into our savings account. Are we always successful at this?! no way! We give in. Especially when it comes to going out for coffee or food... it's our biggest weakness in our spending life. 🤦🏼♀️ But it is a fun game and it's nice to have someone keep me accountable to our goals.
I hope you enjoy an amazing summer. Full of memories, lots of laughs, cook outs, pool days, and tons of fun without going into debt or breaking the bank. Have fun, and remember moments with your families are the very best gifts you can give one another. ☀️☀️☀️